Begin your career in technical communication today by selecting from one of our graduate or certificate programs:
What is the admissions process?
Admission into any of TC's MA programs is a two-step process.
1. Apply to the Toulouse Graduate School
- Complete your online ApplyTexas application.
- Request your official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- Submit your standardized test scores. All applicants must submit GRE scores. International applicants must also submit their TOEFL (or IELTS) scores.
To be eligible for admission to the MA with a major in professional and technical communication, applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA on the last 60 hours of undergraduate semester credit hours prior to receiving a bachelor's degree or a 2.8 GPA on all undergraduate work. The MA requires no foreign language competency.
The applicant must also submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants whose native language is not English must also submit a score on the TOEFL examination. Applicants whose undergraduate degree is not in professional and technical communication may be required to take 3-6 hours of graduate leveling courses as approved by the graduate director. These courses would count as electives toward the MA degree.
NOTE: We do not accept test scores other than the GRE and TOEFL (or IELTS) scores. The department does not grant conditional admission to applicants who have not submitted all test scores.
2. Email the following documents to the TC Graduate Advisor
- A 500-750 word personal statement in response to one of the following prompts:
- Describe a situation where you successfully used technical communication. How do you believe UNT's MA with a major in professional and technical communication will complement what you already know about the field?
- Summarize the most recent article you read about technical communication. Discuss how this article informed your thinking about technical communication and then how UNT's MA with a major in professional and technical communication will enhance your understanding of the field.
- A current vita or resume.
- a writing sample or professional portfolio (optional).
An admission decision will be made once the applicant's file is complete. TC accepts applications throughout the year; however, visit the Toulouse Graduate School Web site for their application deadlines.
When can I meet with my new advisor?
Graduate advising is by appointment only. Please call the TC main office at (940) 565-4458 to schedule an appointment with the Director of Graduate Studies.