What degrees are offered?
We offer the Master of Arts in Professional and Technical Communication. Our MA program prepares students for positions as technical writers/editors, content developers, or usability professionals. Our graduates most often take positions in companies within the information technology, consulting, and healthcare industries.
Graduates of our MA program have a 100% job placement rate. Learn more about the field of technical communication and your career opportunities.
What are the admission requirements and what classes do I take?
Not all courses are offered every semester. You can view the planned course offerings here.
We offer rolling admissions for our Master's program. Admission into any of Tech Comm's MA program is a two-step process.
1. Apply to the Toulouse Graduate School
- Complete your online ApplyTexas application.
- Request your official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended.
- Submit your standardized test scores. All applicants must submit GRE scores. International applicants must also submit their TOEFL (or IELTS) scores.
To be eligible for admission to the MA with a major in professional and technical communication, applicants must have at least a 3.0 GPA on the last 60 hours of undergraduate semester credit hours prior to receiving a bachelor's degree or a 2.8 GPA on all undergraduate work. The MA requires no foreign language competency.
The applicant must also submit scores from the Graduate Record Examination (GRE). Applicants whose native language is not English must also submit a score on the TOEFL examination. Applicants whose undergraduate degree is not in professional and technical communication may be required to take 3-6 hours of graduate leveling courses as approved by the graduate director. These courses would count as electives toward the MA degree.
NOTE: We do not accept test scores other than the GRE and TOEFL (or IELTS) scores. The department does not grant conditional admission to applicants who have not submitted all test scores.
2. Email the following documents to the Tech Comm Graduate Advisor
- A 500-750 word personal statement in response to one of the following prompts:
- Describe a situation where you successfully used technical communication. How do you believe UNT's MA with a major in professional and technical communication will complement what you already know about the field?
- Summarize the most recent article you read about technical communication. Discuss how this article informed your thinking about technical communication and then how UNT's MA with a major in professional and technical communication will enhance your understanding of the field.
- A current vita or resume.
- A writing sample or professional portfolio (optional).
An admission decision will be made once the applicant's file is complete. Tech Comm accepts applications throughout the year; however, visit the Toulouse Graduate School Web site for their application deadlines.
For the complete list of admission and degree requirements, visit the UNT Graduate Catalog.
Who do I talk to?
Graduate advising is by appointment only. Please call the office at (940) 565-4458 to schedule an appointment with Dr. Jordan Frith, Director of Graduate Studies.